Meaning of FOIL in Hindi
Meaning of foil in Hindi
- हार(Pr. Har haar)
- असफलता(Pr. Asaphalata asaphalataa asafalata)
- तलवार(Pr. Talavar talavaar talawar)
- धातु का महीन पत्तर(Pr. Dhatu ka mahin pattar dhaatu kaa maheen pattar)
- पर्णिका(Pr. Parnika parnikaa)
- पतली तलवार(Pr. Patali talavar patalee talavaar patali talawar)
- पन्नी(Pr. Panni pannee)
- हराना(Pr. Harana haranaa)
- वृथा करना(Pr. Vritha karana vrithaa karanaa writha karana)
- विफल कर देना(Pr. Viphal kar dena viphal kar denaa wifal kar dena)
- रोड़े अटकाना(Pr. Rode atakana rode atakanaa)
- पर्ण(Pr. Parn)
- पर्णी(Pr. Parni parnee)
Meaning of FOIL in English
- To tread under foot; to trample.
- To render (an effort or attempt) vain or nugatory; to baffle; to outwit; to balk; to frustrate; to defeat.
- To blunt; to dull; to spoil; as, to foil the scent in chase.
- To defile; to soil.
- Failure of success when on the point of attainment; defeat; frustration; miscarriage.
- A blunt weapon used in fencing, resembling a smallsword in the main, but usually lighter and having a button at the point.
- The track or trail of an animal.
- A leaf or very thin sheet of metal; as, brass foil; tin foil; gold foil.
- A thin leaf of sheet copper silvered and burnished, and afterwards coated with transparent colors mixed with isinglass;
- Anything that serves by contrast of color or quality to adorn or set off another thing to advantage.
- A thin coat of tin, with quicksilver, laid on the back of a looking-glass, to cause reflection.
- The space between the cusps in gothic architecture; a rounded or leaflike ornament, in windows, niches, etc. a group of foils is called trefoil, quatrefoil, quinquefoil, etc., according to the number of arcs of which it is composed.
Examples and usage
To better understand the meaning of FOIL, certain examples of its usage are presented.Examples from famous English prose on the use of the word FOIL
"The crate upon which i sit contains 2,000 napoleons packed between layers of lead foil"
- The word/phrase 'foil' was used by 'Sir Arthur Conan Doyle' in 'The complete sherlock holmes'.
"Those dark, purple-faced people are an excellent foil"
- 'George Eliot' has used the foil in the novel Middlemarch.
FOIL has been recently used in news headlines. Please see the examples below
Usage of "FOIL": Examples from famous English Poetry
"Nor in the glistering foil"
- This term foil was used by John Milton in the Poem Lycidas.
Thesaurus and related words
Popular word you may like
English to Hindi Dictionary
Hindi to English Dictionary