Meaning of BUT in Hindi
Meaning of but in Hindi
Meaning of BUT in English
- Except with; unless with; without.
- Except; besides; save.
- Excepting or excluding the fact that; save that; were it not that; unless;
- Otherwise than that; that not;
- Only; solely; merely.
- On the contrary; on the other hand; only; yet; still; however; nevertheless; more; further;
- The outer apartment or kitchen of a two-roomed house;
- A limit; a boundary.
- The end; esp. the larger or thicker end, or the blunt, in distinction from the sharp, end. see 1st butt.
- See butt, v., and abut, v.
- A limit; a bound; a goal; the extreme bound; the end.
- The thicker end of anything. see but.
- A mark to be shot at; a target.
- A person at whom ridicule, jest, or contempt is directed; as, the butt of the company.
- A push, thrust, or sudden blow, given by the head of an animal; as, the butt of a ram.
- A thrust in fencing.
- A piece of land left unplowed at the end of a field.
- A joint where the ends of two objects come squarely together without scarfing or chamfering;
- The end of a connecting rod or other like piece, to which the boxing is attached by the strap, cotter, and gib.
- The portion of a half-coupling fastened to the end of a hose.
- The joint where two planks in a strake meet.
- A kind of hinge used in hanging doors, etc.;
- The thickest and stoutest part of tanned oxhides, used for soles of boots, harness, trunks.
- The hut or shelter of the person who attends to the targets in rifle practice.
Examples and usage
To better understand the meaning of BUT, certain examples of its usage are presented.Examples from famous English prose on the use of the word BUT
"But on the edge of town, drills were driven out of his mind by something else"
- The word/phrase 'but' was used by 'J. K. Rowling' in 'Harry potter and the sorcerer's stone'.
"He didn't know why, but they made him uneasy"
- 'J. K. Rowling' has used the but in the novel Harry potter and the sorcerer's stone.
"But the others wouldn't let professor quirrell keep harry to himself"
- To understand the meaning of but, please see the following usage by J. K. Rowling in Harry potter and the sorcerer's stone.
BUT usage in Proverbs/Idioms
BUT has been recently used in news headlines. Please see the examples below
Popular word you may like
English to Hindi Dictionary
Hindi to English Dictionary
हिन्दी मे स्क्रिबल खेलें